I'm back with another Mini Monday. I'm just so much more likely to post if I keep myself on some kind of weekly feature schedule. For my second Mini Monday while I clean out my drafts, I have a mini review of Don't Even Think About It by Sarah Mlynowski.

Goodreads Synopsis
Since we've kept our freakish skill a secret, we can sit next to the class brainiac and ace our tests. We can dump our boyfriends right before they dump us. We know what our friends really think of our jeans, our breath, our new bangs. We always know what's coming.
Some of us will thrive. Some of us will crack. None of us will ever be the same. So stop obsessing about your ex. We're always listening.
Thoughts
I thought that I was going to love this book. I was so excited to read it. So maybe this is partially my fault because I had such expectations for this book to be fun and exciting, but I feel like this story really let me down. It had such an interesting premise. What if a whole high school class could hear what others were thinking?
I think my main issue is that the idea wasn't explored deeply enough. I thought we would get more conspiracy theory-esque thoughts. However, what was mostly offered was thoughts on how to use this newfound ability to read minds to...get a boyfriend, and the whole thing was a mess with how many narrators we had going on throughout the story.
This is VERY much a YA book. The thoughts are juvenile, because the characters are. Sometimes these thoughts were very eye-roll inducing to me. I would not recommend this book to anybody who feels like they may be beginning to age out of the YA genre.
No comments:
Post a Comment