Sunday 22 September 2024

The Dinner by Herman Koch


Title: The Dinner
Author: Herman Koch
Pages: 306
Publisher: Hogarth
Publication date: January 1 2009

Intro

Two couples dine together at a restaurant. Each aware that their children have done something awful together. Over the courses, the events of the night they all know they must talk about are revealed, and tensions between the diners reach a boiling point

My thoughts

I really don't have much to say about this novel. It's the first novel that BookTok has ever influenced me to buy, and I really thought I was going to like it more than I did. It did deliver a tense atmosphere that I loved, but I found that none of the characters were at all likeable. I can forgive a cast of unlikeable characters pretty easily if they're at least a little bit interesting, but I also found that none of the characters were fully developed or fleshed out enough for me to forgive their unlikeable personalities for the sake of the plot. It was hard to care about what happened/what will happen to the characters after the story ends because of this.

Overall, I have a very lukewarm opinion on this one. It's just okay. It was fine for something quick but it's unlikely that this will ever be a story I revisit.  


No comments:

Post a Comment